Friday, September 14, 2007

The mixture of different feelings

As a person with disabilities who teaches children with disabilities, I’ve got mixture of different feelings in middle of my heart. I now really understand the meaning of “What can they do is more important than how much they can do”. I would feel this world is all mine even they could only complete a simple task such as identify a few alphabets in my computer session.

On another hand, I always wonder what the perceptions of my students’ parents are. What are their perceptions toward me? Do they think that I am not capable enough to educate the child? Do they ever think that why the school administrator employed me? Do they worry about their child’s safety when their child is with me?

Few parents asked me “How is my child doing in your session?”. I replied, “She/He is doing well.” Besides that answer, I am not able to have a better description about their child. It is not because they are not improving. I worry that they do not understand my speech and they do not have confidence in my teaching and my knowledge.

The same thing goes to the elder students. They already have their own thoughts and perceptions toward their teachers and their life. Nevertheless, I will try my best to educate and usher them to become a better person.

No comments: