Thursday, June 11, 2009

Why is the ATM machine so high?



My friend and I went to shopping at Gurney Plaza today. I arrived there about 12pm. As I reached there, my friend wanted to withdraw some cash from ATM Machine. Consequently, we went down to basement 1 where the ATM Machines are located. There was no long queue at any of the ATM Machine there. My friend pushed herself close to one of them. Unfortunately, she could not able to see neither the screen nor press the button on the ATM Machine. I had to go near to tell her what was displayed on the screen and help her to press the buttons.

Accessibility is an essential aspect to made people with disabilities to live independently. Steep ramps, narrow aisles and toilets, high mounted public telephones and ATM Machine and inaccessibility public transportation stop people with disabilities going out from house.

Frankly speaking, I still don’t understand the feelings of a wheelchair bound truly even I do use a wheelchair in some occasion. I am able to stand up to reach things which are located at higher position and I am able to walk to reach the destination when the aisle is too narrow for a wheelchair. But I still have accessibility barrier when there are only squat toilets and staircase. Why not to have Universal Design in our environment to ease all the people.

No comments: